Areas of Legal Experience:
● Writing and reviewing construction contracts. Litigating construction disputes.
● Writing and reviewing business and government contracts. Litigating contract disputes.
● Writing commercial office-space leases.
● Writing agency and corporate policies on purchasing, personnel, finance, social media, travel, security, public records, and the Florida Sunshine Law. Litigating Sunshine Law and public records disputes.
● Advising on the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) regarding exemptions and coverage.
● Advising and representing employers on the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, employment discrimination, employee discipline, and employment law.
● Writing and reviewing articles of incorporation for not-for-profit corporations, preparing applications for exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and writing and reviewing bylaws for not-for-profit corporations.
● Writing and reviewing governmental procurement and construction documents:
● requests for quotes
● requests for proposals
● requests for qualifications
● requests for information
● invitations to bid, and
● invitations to negotiate
● Attending board meetings and giving advice during meetings regarding operations and compliance issues.
● Giving legal advice on procurement appeal hearings, and procurement appeal policies.
Lecturing, Writing, Teaching:
● Lectured for Lorman Education Services, a division of Lorman Business Center, Inc. and also for the National Business Institute (NBI) on Employment Discrimination, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Bidding and Public Contracting in Florida, Employment Discrimination, Employee Discipline, and Employment Law in Florida.
● Taught Construction Law at Stetson College of Law and Environmental Law at Golden Gate University as an adjunct instructor.
● Served as annual guest lecturer in governmental contracting at the University of Florida’s School of Building Construction.
● Served on The Florida Bar’s Steering Committee for the periodic revision of Florida’s Construction Law and Practice.
● Authored two chapters in Florida’s Construction Law and Practice: The Public Works Contract, and Bids, Bid Disputes, and Competitive Negotiations Involving Public Entities.
Other Training and Experience:
While a law-school student, John Bakas worked with Dean Frank E. Maloney in writing the rules for the South Florida Water Management District as authorized by the Florida Water Resources Act of 1972.
While working for Hillsborough County, John Bakas was the principal compiler of the Code of Ordinances and Laws of Hillsborough County.
Personal and Community:
John Bakas is a Benedictine oblate at Saint Leo Abbey. He enjoys Florida history, especially the time prior to Florida statehood in 1845.
John Bakas worked with the Kiwanis Club of Tampa, Hillsborough County, and community members to create the Bakas Equestrian Center — a Horses for the Handicapped program.