John W. Bakas, Jr., Attorney and Counselor at Law
Not-for-profit corporations are the center of my area of legal services.
10150 Highland Manor Drive, Suite 200. Tampa, Florida, 33610-9712
Areas of Legal Experience:
● Nonprofit corporation operations, funder and provider contracting, personnel, policies and procedures, and corporate documents.
● Commercial office-space leases.
● Sunshine Law and public records.
● Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
● Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, employment discrimination, employee discipline, and employment law.
● Articles of incorporation for not-for-profit corporations, preparing applications for exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and writing and reviewing bylaws for not-for-profit corporations.
Lecturing, Writing, Teaching:
● Lectured for Lorman Education Services, a division of Lorman Business Center, Inc. and also for the National Business Institute (NBI) on Employment Discrimination, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Bidding and Public Contracting in Florida, Employment Discrimination, Employee Discipline, and Employment Law in Florida.
● Taught Construction Law at Stetson College of Law and Environmental Law at Golden Gate University as an adjunct instructor.
● Served as annual guest lecturer in governmental contracting at the University of Florida’s School of Building Construction.
● Served on The Florida Bar’s Steering Committee for the periodic revision of Florida’s Construction Law and Practice.
● Authored two chapters in Florida’s Construction Law and Practice: The Public Works Contract, and Bids, Bid Disputes, and Competitive Negotiations Involving Public Entities.
Other Training and Experience:
While a law-school student, John Bakas worked with Dean Frank E. Maloney in writing the rules for the South Florida Water Management District as authorized by the Florida Water Resources Act.
While working for Hillsborough County, John Bakas was the principal compiler of the Code of Ordinances and Laws of Hillsborough County.
Personal and Community:
We live in a great state. Florida has the oldest written history of any place in the United States. John Bakas is interested in Florida history, especially the time prior to Florida statehood in 1845.
John Bakas also enjoys studying the early church fathers.
John Bakas worked with the Kiwanis Club of Tampa, Hillsborough County, and community members to create the Bakas Equestrian Center — a Horses for the Handicapped program.